So, only three or so months after hatching the idea I’m finally getting around to trying my hand at discussing particular songs/jams performed by Phish. A few things you should know going forward:
- I have no actual background in music. I’m not a musicologist, musician or anything else related to the study or production of music. I know a few chords on a guitar and that’s about it. If you are looking for analysis of tonal changes, progression shifts and other such concepts, this series of blogs will be wholly inadequate.
- This is not a ranking. These are just particular moments in Phish time that I happen to like. I might compare one to another, but I won’t be rating anything. There are no grades in this exercise.
- This is an exercise. Like I said, not a trained music guy. I’m just writing what I hear as best as I can. Why? Well, because I’ve always felt intimidated by those that can review the music and really explain it well. So, I’m getting out of my comfort zone a little bit and hopefully improving at something that I’ve long envied and admired.
- This is a bit personal. I mean that in the sense that the selections come from my little slice of the Phish universe. Most of the songs reviewed here will be from shows I attended. There might be a personal note or two as well, We’ll see how it goes.
- This is a bit of a commitment. Yeah, kind of crazy, but I’d like to do this once a week. I’ve done a few things like this, but I don’t think for an entire year, so we’ll see.
So, that’s the plan. To those that follow me on twitter because of our mutual obsession, your feed back is most welcome and I have a feeling needed when I’m hard up for songs/jams to write about. For those of you that read my blog for other reasons…sorry. Feel free to move along.
I finally got my podcast working the way I’d like, so if you’d like to hear some US History presented in a lively, fun way, check it out! (warning! the first two episodes audio is not good, but by episode three, I got it!) Episode 18 is up! Get Your History On! Oh and you can get it on iTunes too!